Microsoft pushed a new Windows 10 Fall Creators update Preview Build 16241 to Windows insiders in Fast Ring. You can read what is new and improved in Build 16241 by clicking here.
This build also brings many other improvements and fixes with itself. You can read the full details about what fixes and improvements it brings below. Highlights are the new behaviour in Pin to Taskbar option and fixes to issues in Windows Defender, Battery status issues and many more.
Build 16241 also has its share of known issues that you may like to read before installing this build on your PCs.
Fixes and improvements:
- The Pin to Taskbar option is now grayed out for InPrivate sessions in Microsoft Edge. Websites pinned to the taskbar from an InPrivate session on a previous build will now open in a regular (non-InPrivate) Microsoft Edge session.
- We fixed an issue where Windows Defender Security Center showing an ‘Unexpected’ state depending on the implementation of the 3rd party firewall product.
- We fixed an issue where the battery status on certain laptops wasn’t updating while the device is unplugged. Thanks everyone who shared logs to help narrow this down.
- We fixed an issue from the last flight where apps that called into the firewall, such as Microsoft Edge and other apps using networking, might become unresponsive until you rebooted.
- We fixed an issue from the last flight resulting in the Surface Dial UI not appearing.
- We fixed an issue when in Recovery Settings if you chose “Reset This PC” > “Keep My files” the operation would fail at 1% and will revert with no changes to the system.
- We fixed an issue resulting in an increase in UWP app reliability issues, for example in Microsoft Edge and Photos, in recent flights.
- If you were still seeing Storage Spaces issues in 16237, please try again in 16241 and let us know if the issues have been resolved. We’ve made an adjustment to our previous fix.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Windows Media Player displaying a class registered error when attempting to play music files in recent flights.
- We fixed an issue where the touch keyboard wasn’t automatically displaying upper case keys at the beginning of sentences.
- We fixed an issue where Storage Settings might show the size of C: as double the actual size.
- IMAP email accounts such as Gmail, Yahoo, and Aol may not sync in the Mail app in this build.
- Trying to use the dictation hotkey (WIN + H) in UWP apps won’t work – you’ll see the UI come up and immediately dismiss. If you’d still like to use dictation, the microphone in the touch keyboard will work. You can right-click the Taskbar for an option to show the touch keyboard button if it’s not already visible.
- We’re investigating your reports that the Copy Link option displayed in Microsoft Edge when you right-click a hyperlink isn’t working in recent builds.
- There is an issue with PC Games using the Origin overlay. Use of overlay may cause game movement to lock up.
- We’re investigating your reports that after upgrading to the latest Insider Preview builds, some network settings are lost and revert to default settings. Static IP address configuration is reverted to DHCP. Networks which were marked as private are reverted to public. After the upgrade you will need to manually readjust your network settings back to your preferred settings.
- If you have display scaling higher than 100%, you may encounter a bug where the hit targeting is offset when interacting with various parts of the shell. This is particularly noticeable in Action Center, where it might appear that nothing in Action Center can be cleared, but can also happen with the taskbar Jump lists and My People. If this happens, go to Settings > System > Display and change the size of text, apps, and other items to something else. Once you’ve done that, put it back to how you like it and issue should be resolved.
- Some apps like Tweetium may not render the UI correctly and be difficult to use.
- Windows Defender Security Center cannot be used to configure and list items for Controlled folder access, Threat History and Exclusions due to a crash in the UI. This is not affecting the real-time protection capabilities and will be fixed in the next build.