Microsoft uses Cumulative updates to push security patches and also incremental OS Builds. While generally you can install these cumulative update by going to Windows update and checking for updates, there is one more way. You can download and install CAB Files or Cabinet files provided by Microsoft. We have been posting these CAB Files download links for various cumulative updates.
So, here is how you can also install CAB files to upgrade your OS build or patch your OS.
- Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
- Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
- Copy to folder C:\
- Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
- Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab“
- This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
- Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC