Microsoft uses Cumulative updates to push security patches and also incremental OS Builds. While generally, you can install these cumulative updates by going to Windows update and checking for updates, there is one more way. You can download and manually install CAB Files or MSU files provided by Microsoft.
We have been posting these CAB Files and MSU download links for various cumulative updates. And in this tutorial, we tell you how to manually download and install these CAB and .msu files.
So, here is step-by-step how you can also install CAB files to upgrade your OS build or patch your OS followed by the video tutorial.
- Download the CAB Files x86 / X64 depending upon the OS architecture
- Rename file to KBnumber.сab (for example KB3176931.Cab)
- Copy to folder C:\
- Run command-prompt as admin (Right click on Windows icon and choose option). Check the image above.
- Enter the command “DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\KBnumber.cab“
- This installs the CU CAB File. Check the screenshots below for example.
- Your devices will restart once the installation is over. Else you may need to restart your PC
For downloading the cumulative updates MSU files from Microsoft catalog and installing manually you can follow the steps below.
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Download & Install Windows 10 & Windows 11 cumulative update
- Search and find the files
Search for the cumulative update in Microsoft Catalogue and click on download for required X64/X32 versions.
- Download the cumulative update .msu files
Download the .msu file by clicking on the link on the below screen
- Save the file and run
Save the file to PC and click on it to run and update your PC to this cumulative update.