If you are reading this post then you may have already upgraded to Windows 10 taking Microsoft’s free upgrade offer and still want to know your original Windows 7 / Windows 8.1 Product Key for some reason. Windows 10 doesn’t have concept of a Windows Product Key for activation and rather uses a generic Product Key that just signifies a particular Windows Edition like Home, Pro etc. If your windows was activated prior to upgrade, you will get a Digital Entitlement to the Windows 10, but in case if you revert to Windows 8.1 / Windows 7 and want to do a clean install of Windows 10 you may again need to use the original Product Key. There may be other scenarios too. Windows 10 Versions 1511 (November update) also allows to activate Windows using original Product Key.
So, in this tutorial we will tell you how to find the Original Windows 8.1 / Windows 7 Product Key that your PC shipped with before upgrading to Windows 10. ShowKeyPlus is an utility / software tool that is easy to use and provides you with original key and also let you save in a text file.
- Download the ShowKeyPlus latest version (1.0.5835) zip folder from here (Dev link) or here (Mediafire link)
- Open the Zip folder and extract all to a folder
- Now run the first file (ShowKeyPlus with Key icon)
- It will provide you with the original Product Key before upgrading to Windows 10. It will also tell you the key OEM shipped your PC with. Generally both will be same but in case you changed Product Key years after buying your PC you may get two different keys.
- It will also tell you the Windows 8.1 / Windows 7 versions your PC shipped with and the version of Windows 10 you are running now.
- You can save the Product Key and other info shown by ShowKeyPlus as a text file by clicking on save.