Windows 10 Creators Update is believed to be released sometime in March-April 2017 timeframe, as the most recent bits of information have suggested. In a blog post, Microsoft is keen to showcase some of the unique and new capabilities that will be coming to its Microsoft Edge browser for Windows 10.
Microsoft Edge gives users better performance, battery life, and security, as suggested by its growing list of features over time.
Today, we’re excited to dive deeper into the features and improvements you’ll see within Microsoft Edge in the Windows 10 Creators Update, as well as provide a peek into how and why they came to be.
Bringing more to the browser and the browser to more
In addition to new features that help you navigate and organize the web, we are also in the early stages of bringing new and expanded experiences into Microsoft Edge – and Microsoft Edge into new experiences beyond the confines of your screen.
- Embracing 3D: Over the coming years virtual and mixed reality will change the way we interact with technology. A wave of new devices will offer users truly unique immersive experiences in ways 2D cannot. A small but growing number of web sites are offering virtual reality experiences that let users view and interact with virtual worlds firsthand. Microsoft Edge is at the forefront of this work by enabling support for WebVR so users can experience virtual reality via the web using VR devices and upcoming Windows Mixed Reality hardware. We continue to explore how 3D content can revolutionize the web, and we’re hard at work in standards bodies to deliver a new interoperable immersive web. These are exciting times, and we’re thrilled to participate.
- Books come to the browser: A few weeks ago, we began testing the ability to purchase e-books directly from the Windows Store and read them in Microsoft Edge. We’ve designed the browser with tools built specifically to improve the reading experience on Windows 10 devices, with features that not only enable you to read content, but also to customize and create your own experience with custom font sizes, layouts, themes, navigation control, Cortana integration and more. Rolling out Books in the Windows Store and Microsoft Edge is the first of many steps towards empowering entrepreneurs, students, creators, educators and others to learn and achieve more.
- Online shopping gets even easier: Late last year we introduced a preview implementation of the Payment Request API for Microsoft Edge, which will work with Microsoft Wallet on Windows 10 PCs to make online shopping easier than ever. On participating web sites, users will have the option to checkout quickly using their payment information stored securely in Microsoft Wallet so they don’t have to navigate through traditional checkout flows and repeatedly enter the same payment and shipping address information.
- Continued expansion of extension platform We’ve continued our investment in the Microsoft Edge Extensions ecosystem and platform. Extension developers now have access to over 30% more APIs than our initial release, including access to favorites, roaming data between PCs, and the ability to securely communicate with other installed applications. We helped make developers more productive with updates to the Microsoft Edge Extension Toolkit to help with porting, as well as improvements to extensions debugging and interoperability. We continue to work closely with partners to help them release extensions that meet our shared quality and performance goals and have been delighted to welcome several new partners to the Microsoft Edge Extensions collection in the Windows Store in the past months, such as Ebates, Intel TrueKey, Read & Write, Ghostery, and RoboForm, with many more in the pipeline to come.
- Faster, safer, and more efficient than ever: As we know, making a better browser is more than just adding new features—it also means refining the ones you use every day to be better than ever. Microsoft Edge already has class-leading efficiency, performance, and security, but we’re not satisfied to stop there! In the Windows 10 Creators Update, Microsoft Edge will be even faster and more responsive on your favorite sites, will get even more out of your battery than today’s industry-leading efficiency, and will introduce powerful new defenses to keep you safe on the web. We’re never done making Microsoft Edge leaner and more powerful, and we look forward to sharing more about these enhancements soon.