WhatsApp has decided to make its Windows 10 desktop app much more useful. It has announced that Voice and video calls are now available in its Windows 10 app though you need to be on Windows 10 version 1903 or higher.
Coming to the new WhatsApp calling features on Windows 10, it works seamlessly for both portrait and landscape orientation. It also appears in a resizable standalone window on your computer screen, and you can make to appear always on top.
Initially the calling will be limited to only one-to-one calls on the WhatsApp desktop app. But WhatsApp has also made it clear that they will be bringing group voice and video calls in the future.
WhatsApp has also provided system requirements for the new experience. You need to be on Windows 10 64-bit version 1903 or on a newer version for using the WhatsApp voice and video calling.
Desktop calling is supported on:
- Windows 10 64-bit version 1903 and newer
- macOS 10.13 and newer
To make or receive calls on WhatsApp Desktop, you’ll need:
- An audio output device and microphone for voice and video calls.
- A camera for video calls.
- An active internet connection on your computer and phone. The call won’t go through your phone, but it needs to be online to establish the call.
- To grant WhatsApp permission to access your computer’s microphone and camera. WhatsApp needs access to your computer’s microphone for calls and camera for video calls.