Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Creators Update SDK Preview—Build 15042. This Preview SDK Build 15042 contains some new features and known issues. It is recommended not to install it on a production environment since it is a pre-released software and only install the SDK on your test machine.
This SDK only works with Visual Studio 2017 RC (preview), if you want to try it out, download from here.
- No API changes have occurred since build 15021.
- Windows SDK setup name change: With this release of the Windows SDK the setup executable name changed. If you have scripts designed to install the previous SDK, you will need to update the path to use the new name: WinSDKSetup.exe.
- The Windows SDK will now formally only be supported by Visual Studio 2017 and greater. You can download the Visual Studio 2017 RC here.
Known Issues Windows SDK
- DX12 Template Throws when running Build 15042: This is a known bug in the Windows SDK installer. If you encounter this issue, you can repair the SDK by simply running the following command from an Administrative command prompt: C:\program files (x86)\windows kits\10\bin\10.0.15042.0\x86\DismFoDInstall.cmd
- Unable to deploy to device: If you are unable to deploy your app to a device or emulator, it may be because Windows IPOverUSB did not install correctly. To work around this issue:
- Open up the ISO
- Navigate into the WindowsSDK\Installers folder
- Double click on the file “Windows IP Over USB-x86_en-us.msi”
- Follow the prompts
- Windows App Certification Kit crashes when launched from Visual Studio: If Visual Studio cannot deploy the app, the Windows App Certification Kit may crash when loading. To work around this issue:
- Launch the Windows App Certification Kit from the Windows shortcut
- Provide a pointer directly to the package to run the tests
In case you don’t know, the Windows 10 SDK provides developers the latest headers, libraries, metadata and tools for building Windows 10 apps.
The Windows 10 SDK allows you to build Universal Windows apps as well as desktop apps for Windows 10.