Microsoft has released an update for its virtual machine dev environment. The February 2017 edition has all the latest Windows, developer tools, SDKs, etc. prepped for Windows 10 development.
The VMs come in Hyper-V, Parallels, VirtualBox and VMWare flavors. If you just want to try out Windows 10 and UWP, use the free evaluation version of the VMs. This will expire after a pre-determined amount of time (05/21/17).
Following Virtual Machines are available as Evaluation:
- Windows 10 Enterprise Evaluation, Version 1607
- Visual Studio 2015 Community Update 3 (Build 14.0.25425.01)
- Windows developer SDK and tools (Build 14393)
- Microsoft Azure SDK for .NET (Build 2.9.6)
- Windows UWP samples (Feb 2017 Update)
- Bash on Ubuntu on Windows
However, if you want a VM that won’t expire, choose the licensed version and add your Windows license key. If you don’t already have one, you can buy a new Windows 10 Pro license (EN-US only).