Same Registry Edits (Read below in Redstone 2 section), which enthusiasts have been using to get Redstone 2 on unsupported devices, works for getting Redstone 3 too. Microsoft has made only 13 Windows 10 Mobile eligible for participating in Redstone 3 Insider Preview. That leaves majority of Windows 10 Mobile devices out of Redstone 3 eligibility.
But, you can use a tool like “Interop Tools” to edit registry and install Redstone 3 on your unsupported phones. Here is a sample registry Edit posted on Reditt by an user who manged to get latest Redstone 3 Build 15204 on Lumia 1520.
Registry Edits to get Redstone 3:
[SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] Name: PhoneModelName Type: VALUE
Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Value Type: 1 Value: Lumia 950 XL
[SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] Name: PhoneHardwareVariant Type: VALUE
Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Value Type: 1 Value: RM-1085
[SYSTEM\Platform\DeviceTargetingInfo] Name: PhoneManufacturerModelName Type: VALUE
Hive: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Value Type: 1 Value: RM-1085_15217
How to install Interop Tools to make Registry Edit:
You can now get Interop tools from Windows Store.
Now, make sure that you have enabled “Developer Mode” by going to Settings–>Update & Security–>For Developers.
You can also try Apps / Mods covered for Redstone 2 Builds below for making Registry Edits if you so prefer.
Redstone 2 on unsupported Devices Tutorial
It is now possible to use an app to get Redstone Builds on older Lumia devices. The app in question has been developed by folks at XDA and uses the same original working mod that is described below. What is good about this app is that not only it automatically changes registry but also backs up your original device info for a restore later.
App features :
- Backup your Phone targeting info
- Set your phone as a Microsoft Lumia 950XL for single sim devices and Lumia 950XL Dual Sim for Dual Sim devices
- Restore your device targeting info again using this this app .
- Works only for 1 GB RAM devices
How to use :
- Make sure you didn’t changed your DeviceTargetingInfo keys, after that check the Backup my phone.
- Information of your devices will shown up in application
- Choose you device type (Single Sim or Dual Sim)
- Tap on Allow update (this will set your phone to a 950xl as I said before)
- Now you can use Windows Insider to choose your Insider Ring and upgrade your phone.
- Better to Restore backup of your device after upgrade .
Files to be uploaded:
- DHTUpgradeAdvisor_18.104.22.168_arm_Debug.rar : it contains the appx file and you must be able to deploy it with Developer Mode enabled via file manager .
- Dependencies.zip: this contains ARM dependency packages needed for app . (if you weren’t able to deploy this app using file manager use device portal to deploy using appx file and these dependencies .
|DHTUpgradeAdvisor_22.214.171.124_arm_Debug.rar – [Click for QR Code] (6.31 MB, 922 views)|
|Dependencies.zip – [Click for QR Code] (9.24 MB, 722 views)|
How it works or worked for some:
- Uninstall Extras & Info from storage manager
- Use DHTUpgradeAdvisor, backup your DeviceTargetingInfo and hit the button “allow update”.
- Install upgrade advisor from store and check for update, if you want windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.545.
- If you want Redstone Builds, install Windows Insider app and select Fast ring and check for update
- If it is not working, wait for a few hours and make some reboots, then check for update via settings app.
The known Mod works fine while installing Windows 10 Mobile Redstone Build 14393 to older Lumia devices with 1GB RAM (not yet working on 512 MB RAM devices) as confirmed by users in XDA Forum. You can check the steps to use the Mod below, but remember you do it at your own risk. It seems these two configurations worked very well for getting the Build 14393. With Build 14393 even Mobile data & Glance Screen are working fine.
PhoneHardwareVariant : RM-1045
PhoneManufacturer : NOKIA
PhoneManufacturerModelName : RM-1045_1011
PhoneMobileOperatorName : 000-FR
PhoneModelName : Lumia 930
– PhoneManufacturer: NOKIA
– PhoneModelName: Lumia 735
– PhoneManufacturerModelName: RM-1038_1027
– PhoneHardwareVariant: RM-1038
Read further down for the Mod tutorial.
In case of last few Windows 10 Mobile Redstone builds, the older S4 Processor devices were getting stuck in “BootLoop”, on trying to install the Builds. But the Mod given below works again starting with Redstone Build 14356.
Recently Microsoft released a new Redstone build 14267 for fast ring insiders for Windows 10 Mobile and as build was only available for some newer selected models (Lumia i.e. Lumia 550, Lumia 950\XL, Lumia 650 and for Xiaomi Mi4) so many insiders are certainly upset (including me also). But as there are limitations, there are some weird solutions.
Now the popular modders community XDA developers published a discussion about the trick by which you can get this build on your phone although if your phone model is not listed.
NOTE – Following steps can cause serious damage to your phone. Nokiapoweruser, XDA developers and Microsoft will not responsible for any damage. Do at your own Risk. Think Twice before trying.
1.1) Download WP sdk tools 8.0 lite :source zippyshare and click on “install.bat ” click “Yes” for every prompt
Goto (“C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Tools\XAP Deployment”) and open “Xap Deployment.exe”
[ Go to vcreg-->(. . .)–>templates–>check mark , live interop and restore Ndtksvc and click on apply
Editing Registry Values
try to deploy custom pfd 6 with same “xap Deployment.exe”,if its not successful then
3 ) Download [B]WP sdk tools 8.1 lite source Zippyshare and extract it, click on “InstallWP81SDKToolsLite.bat” accept all prompts .
goto “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.1\Tools\AppDeploy” and open ” AppDeploy.exe” .
download customPFD (@Pasquiindustry) and deploy it.
move to HKLM–>SYSTEM–>Platform–>DeviceTargetingInfo then
take the screenshots of your device original values and move to SDcard,you can restore same values anytime
a)change ” PhoneManufacturer ” = MicrosoftMDG
b)change ” PhoneManufacturerModelName ” = RM-1085_11302 (for Single SIM devices) // *** For all dual sim devices try = RM-1116_11258 ***
4) change PhoneModelName = Lumia 950 XL (single sim) or Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM (for dual)
5)change PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1085
6) install windows insider from store
Some are also trying Lumia 830 for changing the settings,
PhoneModelName: Lumia 830
Some report even Lumia 635 settings work fine,
PhoneModelName: Lumia 635
7) After that open Windows insider app, the apply for builds select fast ring then your device will reboot as usual and then check for update in phone update setting. You will get it. The update size is all about 600MB.
If you are not sure that you are doing this correctly, then you can refer this Video Tutorial too.