Here’s how to set up or activate two-factor authentication for Instagram on Windows 10 PC/Mobile
- Open Instagram app and tap on profile icon(at the bottom)
- Tap on gear icon at the top for settings section
- Scroll down and tap on Two-factor authentication.
- On the next screen, slide the toggle to On position for ‘Require security code’
- Tap ‘Turn on’ for the prompt and it will send a 6-digit code as SMS on your registered phone number (in my case, it was associated with Facebook).
- Enter the code you received in the space provided and tap Done.
- Once the code is confirmed, you will get another prompt to screenshot your backup codes. This is really important, so be sure to tap Ok. You can later find the screenshot picture under camera roll folder in Photos app.
- That’s all. You are done!
Now each time you log in to your Instagram account, a security code will be sent to your registered phone number. This will safeguard your identity and make sure you and only you have access to your account. In case you do not have access to the phone now, you can use any of the back up codes and regain control over your account.
Pro tip: For additional safety, you can upload the screenshot picture to your cloud storage OneDrive etc. in case the original one on your phone is lost, this will ensure you can still get the back up codes should you need it.
You can find the latest update for Instagram for Windows 10 in the store using the link below.