Microsoft has announced a new globally distributed, multi-model & multi-API database service called Azure Cosmos DB, at Build 2017 in Seattle, WA. Azure Cosmos DB database service delivers horizontal scale with guaranteed uptime, speed, consistency and single-digit-millisecond latency at the 99th percentile anywhere in the world.
Built upon DocumentDB NoSQL database service, Azure Cosmos DB offers turnkey global distribution by scaling and duplicating your data, with no user intervention, across any number of Azure regions. You only pay for the throughput and storage you need while elastically scaling throughput and storage worldwide.
Azure Cosmos DB also offers multiple well-defined consistency models to fine-tune performance, and guarantees high availability with multi-homing capabilities—all backed by industry-leading, comprehensive service level agreements (SLAs).
Azure Cosmos DB Features
- Turnkey global distribution
- Multi-model + multi-API
- Limitless elastic scale around the globe
- Multiple, well-defined consistency choices
- Guaranteed low latency at 99th percentile
- Industry-leading, enterprise-grade SLAs
If you are new Azure Cosmos DB, and not sure how to begin, here’s what you can do.
- First, create a Cosmos DB account using the Azure portal.
- watch a step-by-step guide on how to complete the most common tasks.