Microsoft has pushed a new office insider update for Windows Desktop. The update takes the version of office apps Version1802 (Build 9020.2003).
In terms of changes, the latest update brings Editor Overview Pane – in Word for Windows. Checkout the full changelog below.
When you’re brushing up your document, tackling everything at once can be overwhelming.
What’s more, fixing everything is not always a productive approach. It’s helpful to see the big picture and choose what’s most important.
The Editor Overview Pane can help you quickly find and fix the proofing issues you care about, by:
1. Showing a categorized Overview of writing enhancement opportunities:
- Corrections are issues you’re strongly advised to fix.
- Refinements give optional advice on stylistic or situational matters.
- Counters and Checkmarks track progress & celebrate achievement.
2. Drawing attention to elements of Good Writing:
- Gives writers a dashboard for self-assessment.
- Gives teachers a scorecard to drive learning goal conversations.
- Presents the breadth and depth of checks in a manageable way.
3. Making it easy to fix just those categories that matter to your writing goals:
- Scrub the whole document linearly – or a Category at a time.
- Fix in a recommended sequence: Spelling > Grammar > Refinements.
- Spend time on Categories you want to focus on.
To use the Editor Overview Pane, you must:
- Be an Office 365 subscriber on the Insider Fast level.
- Have Microsoft Word for Windows version 1802 (Build 9020.2003) or later installed.
Editor Overview Pane will roll out gradually to Insiders over the next few weeks. So please check again in 1-3 weeks if you don’t see it right away.
The Editor Overview pane is available in languages for which spelling check is supported.
What’s more, Editor-specific Gold-flagged Refinement checks are now available in Spanish, in addition to English. (More languages are forthcoming!)
You can call up the Editor Overview Pane by:
- Clicking the “Check Document” button in Review tab of the Ribbon.
- Pressing the F7 key.
- Clicking the Proofing icon in Status Bar.
- Clicking the Back-Arrow in the Editor Drill-in Pane.
Scenarios to Try
- Click on one Category at a time, to fix just those issues in the document. If you’re in a hurry, you can click on “Spelling”, to focus on fixing those.
- Click on “Corrections” to walk through the issues Editor strongly recommends that you fix… namely Spelling and Grammar errors.
- When you’re looking for extra refinement, click on categories in the “Refinements” card to see Style and Advanced writing checks that may be more subjective or situational.
- Of course, you can still check documents the traditional way – Click on the “Review All Results” button to work through issues in the order they appear in the document.
The Editor Overview will not appear if you have proofing tools installed for any of the following languages. (Support is coming soon)
- Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean