In this Windows 10 Mobile tutorial, we are providing with the ultimate collection of tips & tricks on how to get the best possible Battery life on your Lumia devices running Windows 10 Mobile. This is based on our continuous use of many Lumia devices running Windows 10 Mobile. If you follow these tips, you can easily improve the Battery life by nearly 5-10 hrs on average.
Click here to read the massive changelog of Windows 10 Mobile. Click below to read ten essential tips to improve your Windows 10 Mobile device performance.
Glance Screen, WiFi search settings & Mail Sync Settings:
- If your device support “Glance screen” and you want to use it, better put it to “30 Seconds” for “showing the time and other lock screen content in standby mode”. Always show Glance Screen when charging can be switched off too.
- Turn WiFi search off, when you don’t need it, by taping on WiFi quick action button or by long pressing on it to go to WiFi settings. You can also go to Settings–>Network & Wireless–>WiFi. Trust me it helps in saving lots of battery juice.
- Mail sync options let you control frequency of Mail syncing and if you have more than 2-3 accounts you must set it manually to a period of 30 minutes or more.
Brightness control, Double tap to wake up, Screen time-out:
- Go to Settings –>System–>Display. Make sure that Automatically adjust is switched to Off. Switch Level to low, and switch Automatically adjust to On again.
- Go to Settings –>Extras–>Touch and switch off “Double tap to wake up”, if you don’t need it and you devices supports it.
- Go to Settings –>Extras–>Touch and switch off “Vibrate when I tap the navigation keys”.
- Go to Settings –>Personalization–>Lock Screen and set screen time-out as 1 min.
Cortana, Notifications & Sounds control:
- Notifications UI has changed and it is now all toggles to control what notifications you want. Settings–>System–>Notifications & Actions.
- You can switch off Cortana by going to Cortana Notebook–>Settings, if your Battery Life is too bad and if you don’t want to use Cortana.
- You can control things like NFC, Bluetooth by going to Settings–>Devices. Switch these off, if you are not using them.
- Control sounds by going to Settings–>Personalization–>Sounds. Lesser the number of sounds better is the battery life. You can also manage Apps sounds by going to Settings–>System–>Notifications & Actions and tapping in individual apps.
Controlling Background Apps / Tasks and using Battery Saver:
- Use Battery Saver to save power when Battery is running low. With Windows 10 Mobile you can now change the threshold at which Battery Saver kicks in automatically.
- The Battery Saver settings has got the options to control background apps back. Go to Settings–>System–>Battery Saver.
- Tap on Battery use and you will be able to see all the apps that run in background. Tapping on any app takes you to detailed settings, where you can chose whether the app runs in background or even when Battery Saver is on.
- Tap on Battery saver settings and you will be taken to the second screenshot above, where you can also allow push notifications from apps when the Battery Saver is on and you can also add apps that can run in background when battery saver is on. So this is an alternate way to add or control app that runs in background when battery saver is on.
- The third screenshot above can be accessed from privacy settings. Settings—>Privacy–>Background apps. So one more place to control which apps run in background. Microsoft may streamline the whole process in coming builds we think.
- As you can see in the above screenshots when you tap on Battery Saver settings it takes you to “add an app” screen. Tapping on add an app throws a list of apps that can be added here. If you want to remove an added app you can again tap on added apps and then remove. This really provides with some flexibility for users as one can really choose to allow apps to run in background and also push notifications if required.
- Background tasks enhancement in Windows 10 Mobile has made more tasks running in Background possible. This is a big Battery killer and more the number of background active apps, faster your battery dies. So, you can manage which tasks to be run in background by following the above steps.
- Close all the apps actively running in the background, if you don’t plan to use your phone for sometime, otherwise apps like Map, Drive keep on running in background and kill the Battery. You can long press on back button to go to the Multitasking UI and either tap on X to the close the apps or simply swipe down.
Charging the Battery & Location services:
- Always charge the battery Fully, if possible. It helps the Lumia (Windows 10 Mobile) battery in managing its peek performance for longer.
- Turn location services off when you don’t need them. Swipe down from the top of the screen, and tap All settings > Privacy > Location, and turn Location off .
If the battery keeps draining fast you can try this tip as well:
Out of date or invalid passwords for email and social media accounts affect battery life. Delete and re-create your account profiles by long pressing the relevant account profile in (Settings > Accounts > Your email and accounts). If this fails, switch your phone to flight mode and reboot. Then delete your email profile, turn off flight mode and re-create your email. Apply this for all installed account profiles (Mail Account which is set as Microsoft Account on the device cannot be removed manually).
These tips should help in prolonging battery life on your Windows 10 Mobile running device. Keep in mind one or more of above tips may be what you need for your device and thus all are important. In case you have tried everything and are still facing issues with Battery life, try a soft reset or even if that doesn’t work try a hard reset.
But we believe that above tips should help in most of the cases. So, do let us know, whether you found these tips useful and share if you have any Battery life tip of yours!!