For people with visual impairment or low vision, Microsoft is announcing a new AI-based app called Seeing AI that narrates the world around a person. The app uses machine learning, object recognition and Microsoft’s AI based research techniques to dictate and describe actions, nearby people, text, and objects.
The free iOS app is available in US, Canada, India, Hong Kong, New Zealand and Singapore. (Coming soon to more countries).
Designed for the blind and low vision community, this ongoing research project harnesses the power of AI to open up the visual world and describe nearby people, text, and objects.
The app is optimized for use with VoiceOver, and enables you to recognize:
- Short Text – Speaks text as soon as it appears in front of the camera.
- Documents – Provides audio guidance to capture a printed page, and recognizes the text, along with its original formatting.
- Products – Scans barcodes, using audio beeps to guide you; hear the name, and package information when available.
- People – Saves people’s faces so you can recognize them, and get an estimate of their age, gender, and emotions.
- Scenes (early preview) – Hear an overall description of the scene captured.
- Images in other apps – Just tap “Share” and “Recognize with Seeing AI” to describe images from Mail, Photos, Twitter, and more.
Visit http://SeeingAI.com for more details and instructional videos.
Find Seeing AI in App Store below.