Skype and PayPal have partnered to make life easier and more efficient. Skype is introducing the new Send Money feature that allows Skype users to transfer funds via the latest Skype mobile app anywhere in the middle of a conversation using PayPal.
The Send Money feature uses your mobile phone while you’re chatting with friends or family. You can simply swipe right, tap Send Money, and complete the money transfer process.
To send money, a user will be required to have the latest version of the Skype mobile app, but the recipient or family member or friend, receiving the funds can be using any version of Skype.
Also, currency exchange is no problem. To tear it down, consider sending funds from the U.S., for example, to someone in Europe, you will have the option to send money in Euros.
What do I need to Send Money on Skype?
If this is the first time you are using the Send Money feature, you’ll be asked to confirm your location. If the feature is available at your location, you will need to link your PayPal account to your Skype profile.
Additionally, you will also require a :
- Microsoft account and a PayPal account.
- Skype version 8.3 or above installed on your iOS or Android device.
If you see a coming soon message? Be sure to check back, Send Money is gradually being rolled out.
Where is Send Money supported?
From August 2nd, 2017, the service will be available to customers in:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- and Euro-Currency* countries (Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Estonia, Spain, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, San Marino, Slovakia, Slovenia).
You can send money in US Dollars, Canadian Dollars, British Pounds and Euros.
*Excluding Vatican City and Monaco.
Both the sender and receiver must be from one of the countries in which Send Money is supported.
How do I use Send Money on Skype?
- In a Skype chat, tap Find or swipe to the right.
- Select Send Money from the add-ins.
- Select the country you live in. Then select the country your friend lives in and tap Next.
- Enter the amount of money you’d like to send and tap Next.
- You will be prompted to sign into your current PayPal account and link your PayPal account to your Microsoft account. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you will be asked to create one.
- Tap Send to complete your transfer.
- Tap Back to chat and you will see a money card with the transfer status in your conversation.
There is no setup fee for Send Money on Skype. However, depending on the payment method, currency or if it’s a cross-border payment, PayPal may charge you a transaction fee. Learn more about PayPal’s transaction fees.
Download the latest version of Skype for your iPhone or Android phone and give it a try, or learn more about how Send Money works.