Microsoft has just released the March technical preview for the SQL Server vNext on Windows and Linux. SQL Server vNext represents a major step towards making SQL Server a platform that gives you choices of development languages, data types, on-premises and in the cloud, and across operating systems by bringing the power of SQL Server to Linux, Linux-based Docker containers, and Windows.
No new features have been added for Windows.
What’s new for SQL Server vNext on Linux
The CTP 1.4 release contains the following improvements and fixes:+
- Enabled the SQL Server Agent.
- Enabled T-SQL Jobs functionality.
- Fixed timezone bugs:
- Timezone support for Asia/Kolkata.
- Fixed GETDATE() function.
- Network Async I/0 Improvements.
- Docker image now includes SQL Server command-line utilities (sqlcmd/bcp).
- Enabled Virtual Device Interface (VDI) support for backups.