In case you are already running Windows 10 stable Build 10240 on your PC, you may like to check for the latest Windows update KB3097617, that Microsoft has pushed. The cumulative update KB3097617 brings improvements to enhance the functionality of Windows 10 and also resolves some vulnerabilities as mentioned in KB3096447, KB3096443, KB3096448, KB3096441, KB3097966. Being cumulative in nature this update contains all previously released fixes. You need to restart your PC after installing this update. You can read about all the past Windows 10 updates by clicking here.
This update for Windows 10 includes functionality improvements and resolves the vulnerabilities in Windows that are described in the following Microsoft security bulletins and advisory:
- KB3096447 MS15-111: Security Update for Windows Kernel to address elevation of privilege: October 13, 2015
- KB3096443 MS15-109: Security update for Windows Shell to address remote code execution: October 13, 2015
- KB3096448 MS15-107: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: October 13, 2015
- KB3096441 MS15-106: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: October 13, 2015
- KB3097966 Microsoft security advisory: Inadvertently Disclosed Digital Certificates Could Allow Spoofing: October 13, 2015
Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously-released fixes (see KB 3093266). If you have installed previous updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed to your computer.
How to get this update
Method 1: Windows Update
This update is available through Windows Update and will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To obtain the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
ImportantIf you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
There are no prerequisites for installing this update.
You must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update replaces the previously released update 3093266.