At the #MicrosoftEDU event in New York, Microsoft announced a newer member of the Windows 10 version, Windows 10 S. Windows 10 S is a fresh new operating system built solely for the purpose to empower students (creators) to achieve more.
What’s new in Windows 10 S?
- Windows 10 S is lighter and faster version of Windows 10 Pro/Home.
- On Windows 10 S, users/students can only install apps from the Windows Store, the verified apps, frankly.
- If a user tries to install an app outside of the Windows Store, say a Win32 app, they will get a prompt and if needed, Windows 10 S can suggest an app from the Windows Store that is a close match.
- If an administrator is desperate to install a Win32 app etc. he/she can browse over to Windows Store and purchase a fuller and more powerful version of Windows 10, in this case, Windows 10 Pro.
- Windows 10 S is 50% faster than Windows 10 Pro, when it comes to signing in for the first time.
- Set-up School PCs for schools is an app which lets administrators configure the settings on one PC and replicate the same on another PC by transferring the settings via a USB thumb drive.
- Windows 10 S has a new default wallpaper.
Microsoft and its partners will also launch devices running Windows 10 S, and the pricing starts at $189, which is undoubtedly affordable.
In addition, When you buy a Windows 10 S PC, you will be entitled to a free subscription to Minecraft’s Education Edition and for existing schools with Windows Pro PCs, they get Windows 10 S free of cost.
We will update the article as soon as more info is available.
Meanwhile, the May event is underway and you can catch it here