Microsoft is killing the most loved music streaming service, Groove Music in favor of Spotify. In an official announcement, Groove Music customers will no longer be able to purchase Groove Music Pass and/or purchase music through the Windows Store, which is an utter disappointment.
However, the Groove Music app will continue to support playback and music management of owned content and Microsoft will be releasing updates to the app every now and then in the future.
We’re expanding our partnership with Spotify to bring the world’s largest music streaming service to our Groove Music Pass customers. Beginning this week*, Groove Music Pass customers can easily move all their curated playlists and collections directly into Spotify. Plus, you may be eligible for a 60-day free trial of Spotify Premium.
In view of Spotify being the world’s largest music streaming service (and available on Windows 10), Groove Music customers have the option to move all of their songs collection to Spotify, until December 31, 2017.
Please note, however, this functionality is only available to Windows Insiders running Fall Creators Update builds as of now and the general public will have to be patient until October 17, which is when the public roll out of Windows 10 FCU takes place.
If you are a Groove Music user, you might be interested to make the switch to Spotify since Microsoft dropped the bomb.
How to move your existing curated playlists and music collection from Groove to Spotify
1. Launch the latest Groove app: Log into the latest Groove app version from the Windows Store or Xbox One. Once you are signed into your account, you’ll see a pop-up window from Spotify with instructions on how to login or create a Spotify account.
2. Log in to Spotify:
- If you have an existing Spotify account, you’ll be prompted to input your username and password.
- If you’re new to Spotify, and on your PC, you’ll be asked a few basic questions to help you create an account, starting with a username.
3. Move your music: After signing into your Spotify account, your music collection and playlists from Groove Music will be moved to Spotify.
4. Play music in Spotify: The process of moving your music to your Spotify account will take a few minutes. After completing step three, you’ll be able to listen to your music library in the Spotify app!
Learn more about Spotify here