Microsoft is releasing a new Windows 10 Preview Build of the SDK (17061). These builds are to be used in conjunction with Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 17061 or greater.
The Preview SDK Build 17061 contains bug fixes and underdevelopment changes to the API surface area.
Things to note:
- This build works in conjunction with previously released SDKs and Visual Studio 2017. You can install this SDK and still also continue to submit your apps that target Windows 10 Creators build or earlier to the store.
- The Windows SDK will now formally only be supported by Visual Studio 2017 and greater. You can download the Visual Studio 2017 here.
- Installation on an operating system that is not a Windows 10 Insider Previewbuild is not supported and may fail.
- Cannot deploy to a device: When attempting to deploy to a mobile device, it fails with the following error: DEP0001: Unexpected Error: SmartDeviceException – Class not registered [0x80131500]
- XAML Designer fails to load: When attempting to load the XAML designer, an Unhandled exception occurs “The XAML Designer has excited unexpectedly.
- C++/WinRT Now Available: The C++/WinRT headers and cppwinrt compiler (cppwinrt.exe) are now included in the Windows SDK. The compiler comes in handy if you need to consume a third-party WinRT component or if you need to author your own WinRT components with C++/WinRT. The easiest way to get working with it after installing the Windows Insider Preview SDK is to start the Visual Studio Developer Command Prompt and run the compiler in that environment. Authoring support is currently experimental and subject to change. Stay tuned as we will publish more detailed instructions on how to use the compiler in the coming week.The ModernCPP blog has a deeper dive into the CppWinRT compiler.
- New MIDL key words.
As a part of the “modernizing IDL” effort, several new keywords are added to the midlrt tool. These new keywords will cause build breaks if they are encountered in IDL files.
The new keywords are:
If any of these keywords is used as an identifier, it will generate a build failure indicating a syntax error.
The updated Preview SDK can be downloaded here.